BT Broadband

Les 22:30 29 May 06

Am I correct in assuming that the 8mb update is free?

I haven't seen any mention of extra cost at all. It's not enabled in my area as yet but, if an extra charge is made then I will remain with my present -for what is to me - a satisfactory 2.2mb. This speed varies according to the time of day and the number of people on line, but no grumbles otherwise.

€dstowe 22:35 29 May 06

Yes, there are no extra charges for ADSLMax.

Les 22:45 29 May 06

Thanks for such a quick reply.

When, eventually, my exchange is brought up to scratch I'll be perfectly satisfied with 4mb, living, as I do, some 3 miles from the exchange. Thanks again €dstowe

The Spires 23:09 29 May 06

You will be starting a new 12 month contract though when you upgrade.

BBez 23:28 29 May 06

ifyou on 2.2MB connection running a Speedtouch 330, BT stae it only supports 4MB download speed when you upgrade but if you oto the business drivers area then it states the alcatel speedtouch 330 supports 8MB downstream, try this before they recommend you upgrade to one of the compatible routers...

click here

BBez 23:29 29 May 06

sorry, BT's link click here

Les 23:49 29 May 06

That'll be Ok, Thanks.

BBez: The router used is a BT Voyager 205 ADSL Router. It wouldn't surprise me if this needs changing which, automatically, makes me think about cost and value of a sppeded up connection to me. Thanks. Further comments appreciated.

Les 23:50 29 May 06

Sppeded up - Speeded up!!

Mad Mick 07:51 30 May 06

Speeded up?? My connection varies from 0.8 to 5.3 but is mostly around 4.1. BT told me I could get 6.5 on my line. I only live 300 metres from the exchange. Treat all the hype with caution.

Les 11:13 30 May 06

I always do Mick - in this highly competetive world a few lies (exaggerations!) would appear to be the norm. Maker's/Provider's hype is always treated with a certain amount of suspicion and, personally, I'd much rather read posts of people with hands-on experience and then act (or not) accordingly.

If the changeover is automatic as when they upgraded from 1 to 2mb then, I suppose, the router will pass the data at it's fastest possible rate without any intervention on their part, if this doesn't reach 4mb then so be it. I hope that I'm correct in the above assumption!

Bagsey 13:41 30 May 06

I have been on BT BB so called 8mb . My system has settled down and is giving me an INDICATED 6.5mb at this moment. I does vary slightly during the day. The main problem the I have and so do others on this forum is that at about 10pm every evening my conection goes into spasm and switches off with great regularity. So far no fix has been found for this so far as I know. The advantage as far as I am conerned is that the price has dropped by £7.00 per month.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…