BT Broadband

brambles 19:05 19 Mar 05

I spent a very frustrating 2 hours installing BT Broadband Basic on my daughter's new computer. I have done this several times & everything as far as I was concerned was OK. The BT Software instaLLED OK and I am happy with the connection putting the filter directly into the phone socket & then plugging phone line & modem line in.

I had a very frustrating message in the connect box 'something to the effect unable to connect to remote computer (error I think was 678)

Being a Saturday it was impossible to make contact with BT - any ideas what checking tests are available to me so I can determine how to proceed.

Brambles

VoG II 19:14 19 Mar 05

Some ideas click here

I would try WinsockFix click here

AubreyS 19:29 19 Mar 05

I found this....

Error 678: There is no answer.
Although your ADSL modem does not dial to connect to the internet, it can receive the error 678 no answer. This is usually because there is an invalid number entered for your computer to dial.

To resolve this issue follow the steps below:

Double click 'My Computer' then double click 'Dial-up Networking'.
Right click on the 'Alcatel Speedtouch Connection' and select 'Delete'
Now close 'Dial-up Networking' and Double click on your 'Alcatel Speedtouch Connection' on your desktop.

AubreyS 19:31 19 Mar 05

Also this...

For Windows XP
Restart your computer and wait until all applications have completely loaded before trying to reconnect.

Click on the Start Menu and then select Run. In the box which appears type the word command in order to open the command prompt and then click OK. In the black command prompt window, type netsh interface ip reset log.txt and click on Enter on your keyboard. Then type exit into the command prompt and then click on Enter on your keyboard. Now restart your computer and reconnect to the Internet.

ensonricky 19:34 19 Mar 05

Have you had conformation from BT that your service and line have been fully enabled?
The message you are receiving can also be experienced if the your line/connection has not been finalised by your ISP.

TonyV 20:54 19 Mar 05

When I first went to BT Broadband, I also had problems connecting. In the end they gave me a strange way of connecting via the Access code that came in one of the four initial suite of e mails from them. Also I was given 0 as the phone number! It works.

Graham ® 21:13 19 Mar 05

Is the modem synching? The power light should be on steady, the ADSL light should flash, then remain steady.

Also, unplug any other USB devices.

brambles 18:41 20 Mar 05

I do appreciate all these recommendations - I'm going to try again tomorrow. I'm taking copies of all the above solutions.

Brambles

brambles 10:17 22 Mar 05

Job done - you learn something every day with computers/phone lines. I hadn't put a filter on the Sky setup - that's because I didn't know there was a telephone point behind the TV.

I haven't got Sky so that's why I didn't think about it.
Thanks again everyone
Brambles

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…