BT Broadband ? ? ? ? ? ?

B2K 08:47 08 Dec 04

Hi,

Can anyone help...
I have BT broadband 1MB but im not comvinced its fast enough for 1MB and that im getting my moneys worth.
I cant complain to them cos i dont have stats to say if this is true or not...

Does anyone know an easy way where & how i can test my connection?

Jackcoms 08:57 08 Dec 04

Try this ADSL speed test click here

B2K 09:07 08 Dec 04

Cheers,

According to that im running fine?
Still not convinced though.

Bagsey 09:50 08 Dec 04

I thought the same as you after I changed from a 550k BB connection to the 1 meg BB. Still not convinced of the merrits of going to 1 meg. I suppose that it really depends on what you use the connection for.

bryce66 10:01 08 Dec 04

Surely the 1M is the optimum speed to be expected and even with broadband the amount of contacts on a server determines the ultimate speed you receive at

Yes?

Bryce

Graham ® 10:03 08 Dec 04

If you're not familiar with other speeds, you have nothing to compare with. Don't judge the performance on browsing, quite often you will be waiting for the distant computer/server to respond. As in this forum, at busy times it may take several seconds to open a new page.

Graham ® 10:07 08 Dec 04

If you have AVG, try downloading updates. I noticed a remarkable difference when I went from 512 to 1.1. With PlusNet, they are the same price.

Jackcoms 10:19 08 Dec 04

B2K

Bear in mind that your connection speeds will vary at certain times of the day.

You'll find that, generally, they will be faster in the early morning before 9am when UK offices come on line. They will be slower in the middle of the day and, usually, very much slower in late afternoon/early evening which is during the US working day when even more people are using the net.

As a VERY broad rule of thumb if you achieve downstream speeds of between 90 - 95% of the 1mb you've signed up for, you're doing pretty well.

Hamish 10:20 08 Dec 04

Click file then open then type wclick here when the page opens you should see three speed tests, click one, then save in next box then save again in the following box. With 1mb it should run at twice the speed stated on whatever test you use.

I had this problem recently and I found that I was connecting at different speed. Complained to BT and the matter appears to have been resolved. Hope this helps. Let us know. H.

Hamish 10:22 08 Dec 04

Just tried the click here in my previous message and that opens the test page. Early in the morning for me

JoeC 10:30 08 Dec 04

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…