BSODs and stop errors

TOPCAT® 22:20 16 Nov 05

Got my first two BSODs just now with error code: Stop: 0x0000007B (0xF7C79524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) Message said if this was the first time I had seen this screen then I should reboot, which I did. Shortly after another blue screen with same error and told I could have a boot sector virus! Nothing found on system with AVG Pro.

I then noticed in System Info I have a problem device - code 22. It is the nVidia nForce Networking Controller and this is disabled. I am not on any network, but should this controller be enabled please and how do I go about it? It seems to be causing my problem.

Mobo has the nVidia4 Ultra chipset (Asus A8N-E) and graphics is the nVidia 7800GTX and WinXP SP2. Thanks in advance. TC.

woodchip 22:23 16 Nov 05

If you have a Network card and onboard network one as to be disabled check Device Manager for Lan etc

VoG II 22:24 16 Nov 05
  TOPCAT® 22:45 16 Nov 05

Thanks VoG™ for the link.

woodchip I've found the disabled controller in Device Manager. I have no LAN showing but do have the following under the Network Adaptors group:

1394 Net Adaptor, the 'offending' nVidia Controller - disabled and the SpeedTouch 330 USB ADSL PP. Beneath that group comes the nVidia Network Bus Enumerator.

Any good? TC.

woodchip 22:50 16 Nov 05

That what it should be. Ignore What windows says about it. That is not your problem, you are following a wrong lead following that path.

If you have more than one stick Ram try with one stick at a time to see if it does anything

TOPCAT® 22:52 16 Nov 05

Serial-ATA RAID 0, 1, 0+1 & JBOD, 10/100/Gigabit Ethernet LAN, Realtek ALC850 8-channel audio inc SPDIF

woodchip 22:56 16 Nov 05

As the Correct Sata Drivers been loaded

TOPCAT® 23:51 16 Nov 05

I have one named: nVidia nForce RAID Class controller - driver version 5.10.2600.534 dated 17/05/2005 provided by nVidia Corporation.

And two named: nVidia nForce4 Serial ATA RAID controller, both with same driver and date. All are working correctly. TC.

Chegs ®™ 03:00 17 Nov 05

click here code 22 problem device.

The error code from your 1st post indicates you might be suffering a similar problem to one I found with SATA drives.The SATA drives seem to suffer during cold boots from a "sluggishness"(for want of a better word)that frequently led to data loss on my system.To resolve my problem,I would startup the PC then enter BIOS for several minutes,before exiting and allowing bootup to continue.If I didn't pause bootup,(when running RAID)I got "Incomplete RAID set.Press F4 to enter setup" which took me into the RAID cfg page where I could see a "missing" SATA HD.Having recreated my RAID set,I had to repair windows XP,or more often reinstall the whole shebang which totally defeated the point of a RAID system in the first place.

Having been sickened with this constant problem,I disposed of the RAID setup and chose to run the OS on a small partition,and the rest of the SATA HD's partitioned to suit my needs.The problem of the disappearing SATA still returned every once in a while,but as the OS was now on the SATA that always registered it rarely caused a problem.Before I sussed out the pause boot resolution,I had more hassles with the HD failing to boot from cold leading to corrupt boot files,BSOD's and other niggling problems (resolved by reinstall of a driver or app)

Those two SATA HD's eventually expired totally,but the replacements still suffer from cold boots so I leave my PC on 24/7 and make regular backups saved to another partition,DVD-RW discs,and a monthly DVD-R of the C:\ drive and now have returned to IDE for the OS.I'm ruddy certain I won't be caught-out again with errant SATA HD's. :-)

TOPCAT® 17:30 17 Nov 05

Finally got sfc /scannow to work without the WinXP CD being needed, after finding I had lost the required full i386 folder off the C: drive. Forgot I'd done a restore earlier which didn't have it there.

I ran the check and the computer is back on all cylinders hopefully. Thanks all for your help - I'm learning more about XP each day which can't be a bad thing! :o) TC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…