BSOD when removing USB device

Indigo 1 11:57 01 Oct 05

If I unplug my card reader from any USB port or even jut removing the Compact Flash card from the reader, my PC crashes to Blue Screen and begins dumping Physical Memory to disc.

This has been happening for some time so I don't have a restore point to refer to. I have a feeling that an update may have started it off but can't be sure, it could be that an update is required but where to start ? Anyone solved a similar problem ?

XP Pro SP2 auto update running

johnnyrocker 12:00 01 Oct 05

first option i would suggest providing you have the disk is to run a repair by start run sfc /scannow and the systen will replace any corrupt files and hopefully solve your problem

johnny.

CurlyWhirly 12:01 01 Oct 05

Have you tried the 'Safely remove hardware' option on the taskbar as I assume if it's a USB device it's there?

It is on my PC whenever I go online as my USB ADSL modem is in the list.

Indigo 1 12:04 01 Oct 05

Cheers guys, good suggestions.

johnnyrocker

Which disc are you refering to ?

Chegs ® 12:10 01 Oct 05

My laptop(98se)goes BSOD and pops up a message about "files in use" whenever I unplug my card reader.My desktop(XP)doesn't seem to mind what I do with USB devices.

Indigo 1 12:24 01 Oct 05

Have just tried 'Safely Remove Hardware' otion from the toolbar and it crashed with a BSOD and an error message that said 'NO MORE IRP STACK LOCATIONS' and started dumping to physiscal memory.

I did not see any problems in Device Manager.

Chegs ® 12:38 01 Oct 05

'NO MORE IRP STACK LOCATIONS' in google suggests increasing the size by a registry tweak.Although its for 2000,a bit more digging via google should get you the info for XP.

click here

Indigo 1 12:45 01 Oct 05

Have just run sfc / scannow and re-tried the 'Safely Remove Hardware' option but I still get the BSOD when I use it.

Will scan through Google next.

Indigo 1 13:25 01 Oct 05

I am now getting an error message when I try to 'Safely Remove Hardware'.

"The 'Generic Volume' cannot be stopped right now."

"Try stopping the device again later."

Still gettling BSOD when unplugging USB device.

Do you think a repair of XP would help ?

Chegs ® 13:31 01 Oct 05

Try a repair,also suggest you try alternative mobo drivers(Is it Via chipset,as I had hassles from USB power output with an old mobo)

CurlyWhirly 21:24 01 Oct 05

[quote]I am now getting an error message when I try to 'Safely Remove Hardware'.
"The 'Generic Volume' cannot be stopped right now."

"Try stopping the device again later."[/quote]

That is normal as the device was being used at the time but if you try it the second time you should no longer see that message as Windows should have stopped using the device the second time around and you should now be able to unplug the card reader.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…