BSoD troubles

dogger136 09:39 16 Jun 10

I had this problem a few months ago, couldn't find a solution then and after a couple of weeks it seemed to go away. Now it's come back!! What happens is this, every morning I boot up the computer, it either freezes or I get a BSoD or both. This is what happened this morning.....

1. Booted to desktop, OK until first click of mouse...froze.

2. Re-boot....nothing happens

3. Re-boot...starts the sequence then get BSoD (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL)

4. Repeat of 3.

5. Booted to desktop now seems to be working OK.

I have had this, or a version of it for about 5 days now, had 3 different BSoD messages. The other two were, Memory Management and Ox024 Ntfs.sys.

If anyone has had a similar problem or knows what I can do I would appreciate it. I am on Vista 32bit and I have run chkdsk and tried startup repair off the installation disk, both came up OK. I have also run virsu, malware and spyware scans and found nothing. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:54 16 Jun 10

Suggest you run the system file checker click here

gengiscant 12:06 16 Jun 10

Is it a laptop or desktop?

dogger136 12:07 16 Jun 10

Thanks....tried that, no problems found

dogger136 12:11 16 Jun 10

It's a desktop 4Gb Ram Athlon AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 3.0 processor

Press Man 12:27 16 Jun 10

Its a long shot, but try removing one stick of ram assuming you have 2 x 2gig sticks?

gengiscant 13:08 16 Jun 10

Another long shot, do you have Microsoft Security Essentials installed? it gave me similar BSOD's to the ones your experiencing.

dogger136 13:13 16 Jun 10

Oops, my mistake....3Gb ram.....2x1Gb 2x500Mb

And no I do not have Security Essentials. Thanks

Press Man 14:20 16 Jun 10

Try removing the 2 x 500Mb sticks and reboot.

gengiscant 14:31 16 Jun 10

I'm with you Press Man, I think his problem is the 2 sticks of 512. I would also run memtest overnight.click here

Press Man 14:48 16 Jun 10

If the memory "trick" doesn't work you may have a HDD problem. Check Event Viewer for error messages from SCSI and FASTFAT (System Log) or Autochk (Application Log) that might help pinpoint the device or driver that is causing the error. Try disabling any virus scanners, backup programs, or disk defragmenter tools that continually monitor the system. From the Command Prompt run Chkdsk /f /r to detect and resolve any file system corruption.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…