BSOD then shuts down on Internet disconnection

GaT7 22:00 11 Jan 05

Hi Guys, my friend's laptop experiences a BSOD & immediately shuts down each time he disconnects from an Internet dialup connection.

This has been happening ever since he installed SP2 about 3-4 months ago. Laptop is a Compaq Presario 2100, WinXP Home with SP2.

He's unable to see the details of the BSOD as it happens too quickly. The above doesn't happen at any other time - when running/starting/closing any other program or process. He has a firewall, AV & is ad/spyware free.

Was hoping SOMEONE WITH SP2 EXPERIENCE might know SOMETHING, as I can't think of anything to try/do!

I may not respond to any suggestions until after I've passed the info on & he gets back. Please keep posting anything you know, could try & appropriate links. And feel free to ask ANY questions. Many thanks, G

GaT7 18:15 13 Jan 05

bump

VoG II 18:18 13 Jan 05

Right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab. Under Startup & Recovery click Settings. Under System Failure untick the box in front of Automatically restart.

The next time the BSOD screen should be visible to help find out what the error is.

GaT7 18:22 13 Jan 05

Thanks for the quick response VoG! Will pass on the suggestion & post the details of the BSOD when he gets back. G

GaT7 18:42 20 Jan 05

VoG, he did what you suggested & got back to me today 20/01. The BSOD error message is as follows:

STOP: 0X0000007E (0XC0000005, 0X804DAB57, 0XF52E7BE8, 0XF52E78E4)

On searching the MS knowledgebase & Google, I've found a few possible solutions he could try. Thanks again & will keep posting if he makes any progress or not. G

GaT7 21:27 24 Feb 05

Just heard from my friend again. Soon after he discovered the error message, the laptop began to behave itself (no solution was attempted), but then recently he had a 'complete disaster':

"I had a complete laptop disaster - more blue screens and explorer stopped working completely along with control panel. I rebuilt it from scratch and it's never been better - no blue screens, much quicker, and 3GB extra memory from somewhere! Only took 20 minutes to get back to the factory build as well!"

I think he means he used the supplied Recovery CD (as I cannot recall him having the original WinXP CD) & obviously he recovered 3Gb of disk (not memory) space! Hope he hasn't lost 3Gb of personal files! At this point I don't know if he reinstalled SP2 or not (or would've had to?) - I've just asked him.

VoG, thanks again for your help/interest : )). I'm ticking this one as resolved. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…