BSOD - 'IRQL Not Less Or Equal' with Windows XP

bradles 15:46 12 Sep 03

Hey

I have Windows XP Professional, and recently when I try and open Nero Burning Rom, or when it's scanning an mpg file, I get the blue screen with the message 'IRQL Not less or equal'.

I've done some reading around and some say it's faulty ram, some say a bad driver. I haven't recently installed anything, but the Microsoft Crash analysis also pointed to a driver.

My question is how do I work out if and which driver is causing the problem? I updated the Nvidia Gforce card driver as I'd read that the video card could be the problem, but this seemed to make the problem worse, and so I performed a system restore.

I would appreciate any advice on the matter

Thanks

Lee

The Transporter 16:13 12 Sep 03

try restoring it to before you installed nero. See if you get the error with anything else.

Look on the web for Memtest and dowload it. Use it to test your memory over night.

Also look for Prime95, will check to see if your computer is stable.

If you have two lots of ram, try using just one. Put them in different slots.

ALso go to Administrative tools and go to the Event viewer. See what it says there. See if there are any red crosses at the times where you have had the BSOD. use the web to find out what your error code means.

If all else fails, try reinstalling XP, (only take you 30 mins) and after installing basic graphics drivers, and direct X. install Nero, see if it works before you put other stuff on you system.

Also go into Control panel - System - Advanced tab - Hardware tab - device manager

Go through each piece of hardware, right click it and bring up the properties. See if any have any IRQ conflicts.

Also do you have APIC enabled in your bios. This will give you over 20 IRQ's to play with instead of the standard 15? .

:-)

bradles 16:37 13 Sep 03

Thanks a lot - I ran Memtest and there is indeed a problem with the RAM. I'll run the other things for good measure.

Lee

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…