BSOD with fresh XP install on new PC

cyberphobic 09:18 24 May 08

I have just bought a new mobo,CPU and memory to upgrade my PC. All were previouly installed together in a working PC. - Asus A8N SLI Premium mobo, Athlon 64 4200 Dual Core CPU and 2 x 1GB Geil PC3200 RAM. I bought a PCI-E Graphics card, my Power supply is 500W and I am trying to install XP PRO on a barely used Maxtor 120GB IDE drive. The install is fine in the first phase and the machine retsarts but after it has finished loading files and moves to the screen where you choose "nationality" of installation(with 33 mins left to go approx) it crashes with a BSOD 0x0000008e with a win32k.sys problem. Everything tells me that this is a hardware problem, but I am getting nowhere with solving it. I have tried swapping the graphics card for an AGP one, trying just one memory stick at a time in case one is faulty, different keyboard and mouse and finally 2 sticks of PC2700 memory but whatever I change it always crashes at the same point. Can anyone help me with this please?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:31 24 May 08

click here
MS say its RAM

click here
says a rootkit problem (unlikely on a fresh install on a fully formatted drive?)

have a read click here

chub_tor 09:42 24 May 08

click here seems to suggest that it is a RAM error as Fruit Bat says but that it could be related to the RAM settings in the BIOS. If you haven't already done so you could try going back to the BIOS defaults and start the installation again.

cyberphobic 14:14 24 May 08

Thanks for your responses, I have tried default settings, and I have also tried different memory but no success. I also reformatted the HDD, I have a utility which claims to format an HDD to US Defence Standards! I then tried to reinstall, but no luck, any more suggestions?

cyberphobic 14:15 24 May 08

Thanks for your responses, I have tried default settings, and I have also tried different memory but no success. I also reformatted the HDD, I have a utility which claims to format an HDD to US Defence Standards! I then tried to reinstall, but no luck, any more suggestions?

cyberphobic 15:09 24 May 08

I have tried loading XP with a different CD as it wouldn't be the first time that a software problem has presented itself as a hardware problem, but no difference. In desperation I have just visited my local computer store and bought 1GB of Kingston PC3200 memory, but exactly the same thing happens,SO IT ISN'T THE MEMORY! Does anyone else have any helpful suggestions please?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:28 24 May 08

Renew / change the IDE cable to your hard drive.

chub_tor 15:36 24 May 08

This link click here is a bit too technical for me but it might help. In a quick read it seems that a call to Microsoft might be the only answer.
Failing that there are some other suggestions listed click here=

skidzy 15:45 24 May 08

One little thing that maybe of relevance;

As you have fitted a new mobo,did you remove and renew the thermal compound/grease for the cpu ?

Though the error code is not related,these things are worth double checking.As is checking all fans,heatsink/case fans/psu fan.

I am in agreement that it could be the ram at fault,and again possible bios settings are incorrect.

Do you nhave another hdd to hand,maybe worth a try with that ?

cyberphobic 19:51 24 May 08

You were both on the right track - it was the HDD that was faulty, as soon as I tried another HDD all went smoothly. I suppose the moral of the story is don't take BSOD explanations too literally, all you can be sure of is that you have a hardware problem! As ever, thanks to all who contributed, your assistance is much appreciated

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Best iMovie for Mac tips 2017 | How to edit video with iMovie: 26 brilliant video editing tricks…