BSoD on Elonex

Demora 12:24 18 Feb 10

Hi

No matter what I do after this thing boots up either into Normal XP or 'safe mode' the web book keeps going to the dreaded BSoD. With the error message 'STOP 0x000000f4 then the numbers change on each blue screen crash.

I haven't been able to get into windows for long enough to see the event viewer.

Everytime I try to uninstall anything or run a clean up Blue screen again.

I've taken the Hdd out and checked that for virus etc on another pc. Nothing and the drive seems ok.

Its 18months old.

Any pointers as to what my next step should be?

BTW no cd rom on the machine.

TIA
D

Demora 18:27 18 Feb 10

Bump

Demora 11:04 19 Feb 10

More info.

Someone suggested that this could be a driver issue....not installed any new stuff.

Someone else pointed out maybe a motherboard failure ???

And someone said 'Memory' (Likely?)

I haven't got a different memory chip to try at the moment BUT I need a memory test programme that I can run from a usb stick.

TIA

D

retep888 11:28 19 Feb 10

<<I've taken the Hdd out and checked that for virus etc on another pc. Nothing and the drive seems ok.>>

Have you downloaded the hdd manufacturer's diagnostic tool to check its condition as well?

Without a working Windows and Cd-Rom,it's difficult to test the Ram with Memtest86+.If you have a spare laptop,swap the Elonex Ram (512 MB ddr2?)and test it with Memtest86+.

rdave13 11:36 19 Feb 10

There is a Pre-Compiled EXE file for USB Key (Pure DOS) in
click here . Scroll down for link. Have never used it though.

Demora 12:01 19 Feb 10

Thanks for the link rdave13. II'll give anything a go.

The memory was replaced with a 1 gig chip from crucial last year. DDR2 I think.

The Hdd is a western Digital SATA drive so I'll look on there site too.

I'm also going to borrow a USB CD Drive today and see if windows needs a repair.

I'll let you know what happens.

D

Splodge 12:14 19 Feb 10

Wasn't there a report about a Microsoft update being responsible for the BSoD? If so, and you have updated can you not get into "help and support to revert to an earlier time. Alternatively, I believe there was correspondence and a solution posted on the internet which I will try to find!

Splodge 12:27 19 Feb 10

17Sign In to VoteHello Everyone,

I wanted to thank everyone for the great information and discusion in this thread!

We have found that there is only one patch that requires un-installation to resolve the blue screen issue. KB977165 is the patch in question, the other patches do not seem to cause the blue screen behaviour and do not need to be uninstalled.

With that in mind, here's the updated solution steps:

1. Boot from your Windows XP CD or DVD and start the recovery console (see this Microsoft article for help with this step)

Once you are in the Repair Screen..

2. Type this command: CHDIR $NtUninstallKB977165$\spuninst

3. Type this command: BATCH spuninst.txt

4. When complete, type this command: exit

IMPORTANT: If you are able to uninstall the patch and get back into Windows, in order to stay protected you can use the following automated solution which secures your PC against the vulnerabilities that are resolved with KB977165 until you can successfully get the update installed without the blue screens.

Please see the link below for the article describing the vulnerability that is fixed with KB977165 and how you can get protected without installing the actual KB update:

click here

Demora 10:31 20 Feb 10

Hi.

I'm beginning to think that its a connection problem that may have started this.

When I powered the netbook on this morning it had a problem finding the Hdd to boot up. I checked the BIOS and the hdd wasn't listed.

I powered off and turned the netbook over and pressed the hdd casing. Turned it over and powered on again. Booted into windows but then BSoD again..

Got into safe mode and went to uninstall programmes and win sp3. Half way through checking the drive it blue screened again.

I also tried the Linux drive and that had trouble too.

I have a feeling that this Laptop isn't worth spending any money on.

Demora 16:14 21 Feb 10

Hi.

Many thanks for to all who helped here.

I have resolved the problem and the Webbook is now working fine.

managed to wipe win xp and start over and I must say its fine.

Must have been the update Splodge mentioned.

Thanks again.

D

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5