bsod

casper69 09:56 29 May 10

hi all

My pc starts up all normal but after ther the bios screen the safemode option appear i tried last known con which brings up the windows logo then bsod and the resarts the process again tried safe mode this time white text appears as if its loading but freezes and then restart i tried fb and froze the bsod and it say unmountable_boot_volume?

Any ideas i can try

gengiscant 10:04 29 May 10
  casper69 10:26 29 May 10

cheers gengiscant

casper69 09:16 31 May 10

gengiscant

i have looked everywhere for my xp disc to try a reapir but cant find it, could i use a friends as it would just be a repair not an installation?

gengiscant 10:19 31 May 10

As long as his copy is the same as yours.
What XP have you got? Home or pro.

pcs365_2 15:57 31 May 10

Some things that you should know before you try this solution

If the file system is damaged, you can use chkdsk /r command to repair the volume. However, if you use the chkdsk /r command, you may lose some data.

You will need the Windows startup disks or the Windows installation disk. If you do not have them, contact the computer manufacturer for help in obtaining the disks.

You will need the administrator password to complete the steps.

To repair the volume, follow these steps:

1). Start your computer by inserting the Windows startup disks or the Windows installation disk if your computer can start from the CD drive.

2). When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press R to select the repair option.

3). If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the Windows installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.

4). Type the administrator password when you are prompted to do this.

Note If no administrator password exists, press ENTER.

5). At the command prompt, on the drive where Windows is installed, type chkdsk /r, and then press ENTER.

6). At the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER to restart your computer.

7). After you repair the volume, check your hardware to isolate the cause of the file system damage.

If this procedure does not work, repeat it, but type fixboot instead of chkdsk /r in step 5.

casper69 16:54 31 May 10

gengiscant i have xp home

Pcs the chkdsk, how can i perform this as i cant access safe mode or safe mode with command promp

Cheers

pcs365_2 17:13 01 Jun 10

Hi,
It is not necessary to boot in safe mode , when you boot cd and from from it. This is will try to load all files and will give you an option to repair. That is what you need to do.

There is no need to boo in safe mode with dos prompt.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos