Bruadband Speeds

bluto1 20:27 13 Mar 06

I`m with Tiscali BB and I`m wondering what the following figures mean. They were taken from the bottom (information?) bar on my desktop.
Speedtouch ADSL Modem
Speed 524329B
Received 3244289B
and
Tiscali Broadband
Speed 2.2Mbps
Sent 308858bytes
Received 2817303bytes.

The reason I ask is that I think I`d be faster on dial-up tonight. I don`t understand the figures. Any help please?

Tim1964 20:49 13 Mar 06

The 'speed' figure is the PC to modem connection (which of course is very fast compared to BB speeds).
The 'received' figure is the amount of data INTO the PC so far for that paricular session.
The 'sent' is the data sent FROM the PC out onto the net and therefore is much lower as (with normal browsing) much more data comes in than out.
The 2,2 Mbps is the thoretical maximum speed of your service as in 2.2 Mega-bits-per-second.

I find this site good for speed tests.

The link is at the top right.

click here

Hope that helps

Koing 21:53 13 Mar 06

Tim1964 is indeed correct.

Your max d/l speed is 'roughly' your theoritcal Mbps /8.

1 Byte = 8 bits

2.2Mbps ~ 275kBps consistent. You will of course 'burst' faster for a few seconds.

Koing

bluto1 22:19 13 Mar 06

Thanks for the info. At least now I know. Cheers and ta very much

Stuartli 22:33 13 Mar 06

Do you still believe: "I think I`d be faster on dial-up tonight"...:-)

anchor 10:06 14 Mar 06

Three tests of your broadband speed here:

click here

click here

click here

I suggest testing at various times of day to give you a better picture of your connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…