Browsing faster on Wireless than on Wired Network

ajm 00:31 27 Apr 04

Hi. I have a PC and a Centrino laptop. Also have the Netgear DG834G wireless ADSL router attached to the PC through a Cat5 cable. My ISP is Bulldog 2MB.

I have seen that browsing the net is much much faster on the centrino laptop that it is on the desktop PC. Any insights to why this is the case?
Downloads / Browsing on the same sites on the laptop take aprox 30% quicker than on the PC

mike_w 00:44 27 Apr 04

Have you any other programme running in the background on the PC? firewall internet security etc

ajm 00:50 27 Apr 04

Both the PC and the laptop are running similar applications like Norton Antivirus 2004 and Internet Security. Both have common office applications like Word and Excel. Only difference is the OS. The Desktop is running XP pro, while the Centrino Laptop is running XP home. I doubt that this could have a big effect on browsing/downloads speeds

byfordr 07:13 27 Apr 04

Have you tried it through all 4 of the network ports on the router? Could make a difference?

R

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…