Browser(s) keep freezing

Halmer 19:27 20 Sep 08

I've used Firefox for ages on my wireless notebook but it's developed a problem whereby after about 15 minutes it just stops working and I get a blank page. Sometimes but not always this coincides with a 'limited connectivity' message. I downloaded Opera to test and the same happens to this as well as IE.

I've tried system restore to no avail and reinstalled the wireless card driver.

Once it happens I can only turn the PC off by holding down the power button as it wont respond to Start/Shut Down and yet other programs such as Excel and Word continue to work.

Can anyone help me please. It's Vista.

rdave13 19:34 20 Sep 08

Try running check disk to see if harddrive ok.
click here

baldydave 19:39 20 Sep 08

go into power settings in control panel and make sure nothing is closing down/going into standby also try rebooting router

Halmer 07:57 21 Sep 08

will try both and report back.
H

Halmer 09:30 21 Sep 08

Same thing happened after five minutes this morning.

Firefox just stopped. I closed it but when I tried to reopen FF got a message something along the lines 'Firefox is still running but not responding you need to close the process' or something similar.

I tried to close FF through task manager/ processes but it wouldn't close so I went to Start/Shut Down. It got to the 'shutting down' bit but got stuck so I had to hit the power button for five seconds to get it to close down.

The only significant thing that I can remember doing in the last month or so is loading the new version of Zone Alarm so I'm going to disable this and use the Vista one for a bit to eliminate ZA.

Any other suggestions welcome please.

Halmer 09:44 21 Sep 08

so I've uninstalled FF and am trying IE7 to see if that works ok.

Halmer 16:23 21 Sep 08

part way though use.

Is there some sort of common 'platform' that they all use that might be failing for some reason?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now