browser /window freezing

outlawbabs 11:13 03 Mar 06

Hi,
For the past 2 weeks I've been having an annoying problem,intermittent, but it is driving me mad!
The window or browser will freeze,none of the buttons will work(minimise,close etc)Start opens the menu, but im unable to hghlight anything.
Pressing cont/alt/del brings up task manager..but,and this is the thing thats puzzling me!,if i just close task manager without actually stopping anything at all, everything works perfectly?
As I said its intermittent,sometimes thats all that happens and it will be ok for the rest of the session,but on a couple of occasions its needed a reboot to get things on an even keel again.
I've done virus scans, defragged,CClean,adaware etc etc, but the problem is still there :-(
Any ideas before I take the hammer to it?....joke LOL :-) but im thinking of doing a restore if it doesnt improve ( sysstem restore ive tried to no effect)
HP Pavilion t530.uk
2.80 gigahertz Intel Celeron,8 kilobyte primary memory cache,128 kilobyte secondary memory cache
120.04 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
84.47 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2
256 Megabytes Installed Memory
Norton antivirus
Norton internet security

Thanks

Diodorus Siculus 12:49 03 Mar 06

[quote]256 Megabytes Installed Memory
Norton antivirus
Norton internet security[/quote]

My instinct would be that the above info is a lot of your problem -

256MB RAM is not much - see if you can add another 512 - that will cost you about £40 or so.

Norton uses a lot of resources - when your licence expires, I'd suggest you get one of the free alternatives.

If the problem has only just begun, however, I'm not sure what to suggest.

outlawbabs 13:35 03 Mar 06

Yes,I wondered whether norton could be the problem!
as it happens the licence for both are up at the end of the month,is it true norton is hard to eradicate? I have been thinking of changing to a free one,BT have antivirus as an option on their "online protection" package(free) any views on that one?
I'd need a firewall too.
I think its a good idea to up the RAM,its has got a spare slot,how can i find out how much I can add? and how straightforward is it to do?
Thanks for your help :-)

Diodorus Siculus 14:39 03 Mar 06

Free antivirus: Avast click here - it updates itself automatically and runs with few resources.

Free Firewall - Kerio or ZoneAlarm.

Go to click here and enter the details of your machine - it will tell you how much RAM you can add. If yourmachine is not listed, you can tell it to scan your system and recommend some RAM for you.

Crucial provide top quality RAM.

skidzy 15:24 03 Mar 06

I totally agree with Diodorus Siculus Norton is very greedy when it comes to hogging the system resources.
I would suggest as Diodorus Siculus Zonealarm free version firewall with AVG free Anti virus.
These work well together but as opposed to Avast av Avg needs manual updating,Avast will update it self.

Maybe running ewido may help tidy up a few things on your system. click here

All Firewalls and Antivirus programs can be found click here

I would suggest you keep to the programs advised on here.This will reduce your chances of a rogue program.

These guys on here know what they are talking about and are genuine.

You do not need to pay for anything nowadays as whats on offer for free is just as good as any bought programs.

outlawbabs 15:34 03 Mar 06

thanks for those links,just hope i can get rid of norton now :-0

Diodorus Siculus 15:37 03 Mar 06

Using the Norton uninstall tool
click here

outlawbabs 15:54 03 Mar 06

Thanks for all your help and suggestions!
I think I'll tick this as resolved now,buti may be back LOL.
thanks again

skidzy 16:09 03 Mar 06

Good luck Babs

outlawbabs 13:30 05 Mar 06

Hi,
I used the norton removal tool and installed avast and zonealarm,certainly all the crap removal and getting rid of norton has speeded it up quite a bit, so thanks for that :-)
However, the freezing problem is still happening,not as often,but still there.
I've ordered 512RAM from Crucial,so hopefully that will solve it.(capacity is 1GB)
To think that the first PC I had was 64RAM ! roflmao :-)
Oh well, time to find the screwdrivers and the antistatic wristband LOL.
Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced