Browser for an old pc

Harry 18:40 24 Jul 04

Which browser would work best (quickest) for an old pc (150MHz)? Is IE 6 too much or shall i leave the IE which comes with Win98se? I notice some of the other browsers list min specification over 200MHz.

Pesala 18:57 24 Jul 04

Recommended configuration for Opera 7 without Java:
Pentium class system with 16 MB of RAM and at least 12 MB of free disk space

Windows 95 or higher operating system

28800 bps modem or higher connection

Please note that Java requires at least a Pentium 166 MHz processor, 32 MB of RAM and 65 MB free hard drive space to run.

click here

I know that some people run it on very low spec PCs. Your's might be on the limit, but it is a light download without Java.

woodchip 18:59 24 Jul 04

Get Netscape

Smiler 19:04 24 Jul 04
  R4 19:13 24 Jul 04

IE6 works on sytems using 486 (AMD that is) or upwards so should be alright on your old PC

Harry 19:54 24 Jul 04

Would opera work ok without the Java or must you have it.

Valvegrid 20:01 24 Jul 04

No, you don't need Java, it makes no difference to it's operation, the only thing is you won't see some types of graphics, but this is very rare.

Pesala 10:48 25 Jul 04

From the feedback in this thread that I started click here it would seem to be feasible to run the latest Opera on an old PC, though probably much easier without Java.

Opera 6.06 (recommended) is still available for download from click here which is a good place to find all kinds of programs that are better suited to an old PC.

There has been any such thing as a slow PC since the days of the first 80386 chip. Only slow software that people try to run on hardware that it was never designed to run on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…