Browser keeps opening with about:blank

WGW 23:37 07 May 04

My browser has recently started opening at about:blank whenever I log on to the internet. I've changed it back to my preferred home page several times but it comes right back with about:blank every time.
I'm using Windows 95 and certain programs like SpyBot won't work with it.
Does anyone have any advice about how to get rid of about:blank?
Thanks in advance.

Dan the Confused 23:43 07 May 04

Just a recent thread on it click here

If you use CWShredder, make sure it is latest version (1.57 I think).

VoG II 23:44 07 May 04

Expert advice neededcas this blighter is a devil to remove click here

gudgulf 23:49 07 May 04

click here

click here

click here I don't understand why you say this dosen't work with '95.It should--make sure you have all the latest updates.

WGW 21:52 10 May 04

Thanks for the prompt responses everyone.

The problem seems to have gone for now and it was something as simple as updating AVG which was only 10 days from it's last update. It found a trojan horse called Startpage.4.AN and following that's removal the about:blank home page has gone and constant pop up ads have stopped. Fingers crossed.
I dipped into all the posts and all were useful. Spybot did download ok, so hands up there I got that wrong. Adware on the other hand wasn't compatable with Win95 on one of the links but was on gudgulf's link. BUT when I click on the icon to run Adaware I get the "Initializing Wise Installation Wizard..." message then nothing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…