Browser Hijack - Hijack This Log

Confab 11:54 06 Jan 05

A friend of mine has had his web browser hijacked. Every time he tries to go to his home page it’s replaced with something that starts www4. He also gets regular pop-ups advertising things his wife wouldn’t be happy about!.

Basically it’s his own fault as he was surfing for a certain genre of video at the time and has now got his fingers burnt. His PC runs XP

I’ve e-mailed him the following software:-

CCleaner
Ad-Aware SE
Spybot
CWS Shredder
Regseeker
Hijack This

I’ve told him to install the apps and update Ad-Aware and Spybot and then to turn off his system restore and run the above apps in safe mode. This method worked for me when my browser was hijacked, although I run Win 98. (not so sure about XP)

If the above method doesn’t remove the hijack then I’ve asked him to run Hijack This and mail me the log. Does any one know where I can get information on interpreting the log? I wouldn’t want to advise him to remove something vital to his system.

Thanks in advance.

Confab

muscic lover 12:00 06 Jan 05

Spybot search and destroy has a nifty little deal in it. It locks your homepage to the one you want and refuses to let it be overtaken by a hijacker... unless you reset it or turn off the stopper!

He should be OK after this!

as for the log interpretation, i am sorry i cant help, but there are great folk here who will most likely able to.

temp003 12:26 06 Jan 05

Your friend may never need to use HijackThis. But if he does, you can ask him to post the log on this forum (in 2 parts as there is a word limit for each post on this forum). There are a few people here who are very experienced at dealing with HijackThis log (such as Nellie2, mark2). Ask your friend to give his thread a title such as hijackthis log, or FAO Nellie2, which may get the attention from the right people.

VoG II 12:29 06 Jan 05

Good advice from temp003 but don't use the title FAO Nellie2 click here

temp003 12:32 06 Jan 05

Having just noted the Forum Editor's request in the other thread, I was going to correct myself about my suggestion about FAO Nellie2. Then VoG, as always, was there first :0))

Confab 13:11 06 Jan 05

Thanks very much for the replies. I've just read some very interesting stuff here click here although going through this process looks like it could take some time.

Some of you may find this tutorial useful.

If my friend still has issues then I’ll post the log here

Thanks again,

Confab

Confab 18:19 06 Jan 05

Will close this one but some might find the last link useful.

Confab

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…