browser help

musiclady 14:17 18 Feb 04

I keep getting an error on start up c:\windows\system32.msiefr40.dll.I am using xp

Taran 14:26 18 Feb 04

What does the error say ?

"Error loading..." ?

And do you get the error when the PC boots up or when you launch/open Internet Explorer ?

One more thing, do you have SpyBot Search and Destroy or a similar product ?

Spyware and Internet Explorer errors often go hand in hand.

Post back and we'll see what can be done.

Regards

Taran

musiclady 15:01 18 Feb 04

yes i do have spybot installed and adaware 6

JIM 15:01 18 Feb 04

Taran, will leave the links for you to check.Though there are plenty of answers others, may not have this info as shown. May help.

click here

click here

Taran 15:31 18 Feb 04

What I meant above was, is the error message as follows:

Error loading c:\windows\system32.msiefr40.dll

And if so, does it happen on system startup or when launching Internet Explorer ?

When it happens and what it says can point to one or another problem.

T

musiclady 19:22 18 Feb 04

yes its on start up

JIM 20:06 18 Feb 04

iam refreshing your thread as you may cause some confusion having other problems not know to others.(no offence intended)Jim.

Taran 21:25 18 Feb 04

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this. I only just checked my emails and found your message.

Id Spybot is running a clean bill of health on the system then that helps to rule out one possible cause.

OPen up your Control Panel, double click on Administrative Tools then double click on Event Viewer. Left click once on each of the entries in the left hand panel, called Application, Security and System. Details of any issues with those categories will be displayed in the right hand panel. Yuo are looking for anything flagged up with an exclamation mark, meaning it has a problem.

Next, download and run the excellent Startup List from click here and copy and paste the results into this forum. It will list everything your system is runing on startup and should help me [or anyone else for that matter] to diagnose the real issue.

While you are at the above site, you may also want to get yourself a copy of HijackThis which removes web browser hijacking software plugins.

Changes to your system startup can be less frightening if you download and install Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel from click here

It puts an icon in your Control Panel called Startup which details all entries. All you do to disable one of the entries is remove the tick from the box next to it and reboot your machine.

Post back with the results of the Startup List scan and we will see what can be done. Although that DLL is supposedly used for other things it most often rears its head when used by browser hijacking software and/or spyware.

Taran

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…