Browser has performed an illegal operation!?!?!?!

B2K 09:46 16 Jan 04

My PC is very old now so i plan on buying a new one in the near future but until then i want to try sort out a problem i have if possible.
The PC was running fine for a long time but now almost everytime i use the internet i get the error message "Browser has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down" Then it restars my PC or it freezes And i have no idea why?
Ive tried everything from using scan disc for errors and using AVG anti virus scan and nothing was found, Plus i downloaded a internet explorer update and nothing seems to work, Infact the problem seems to be getting worse and i dont know what to do about it... Can anyone help?

Im using windows 98 and IE 6.0

thisisnighthawk 09:49 16 Jan 04

have you run SFC ? go to start, run, and type in SFC and see what it comes up with...

B2K 09:53 16 Jan 04

Whats SFC please?

thisisnighthawk 09:54 16 Jan 04

system file checker, when it gets to the end, click details..

B2K 09:56 16 Jan 04

Cheers, Will give it a go now!

thisisnighthawk 10:10 16 Jan 04

you could also try, restart the PC and hold down the "ctrl" key when you get to the command prompt type scanreg /fix

so it will look like.

C:\> SCANREG /FIX

Note the space after "scanreg"

Ron

B2K 10:11 16 Jan 04

I ran SFC then checked the details an error came up saying "SFC has caused a protection error" Or somthing to that discription then it shut down?

thisisnighthawk 10:21 16 Jan 04

right, lets go to plan B as in my 10.10 post

B2K 10:21 16 Jan 04

Ive just had the error again, It seems to have changed slightly to what its saying to me and has been like that a couple of days... It now says,

EXPLORER
An error has occured in your program. To keep working away anyway click ignore and save your work to a new file. To quit this program click close. You will lose information you entered since your last save!

This happens when browsing the internet and if a press ignore a couple of times the PC reboots?

B2K 10:22 16 Jan 04

Will try plan B now... Cheers for the help!

thisisnighthawk 10:32 16 Jan 04

is it "windows explorer" or "internet explorer" only if it is "internet explorer" you might be able to repair it, go to add/remove in control panel, find "internet explorer" and click ,remove, it should give you the option of a repair. just make sure you DO NOT click windows explorer..........

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…