Browser freezes for 20 secs then OK

kinger 21:28 30 Nov 04

While browsing the Internet using Avant or IE, the session tends to freeze for 20-40 seconds before I'm able to continue.

This will happen several times in a session.

I can use any other program but the actual browser is frozen solid with only the mouse cursor moveable.

Can anyone throw any light on why this should happen?

Graham ® 22:07 30 Nov 04

Dial-up or broadband? If broadband, USB modem?

kinger 19:22 01 Dec 04

Broadband with USB modem, Graham.

Graham ® 19:30 01 Dec 04

A USB modem must be on a hub on its own, nothing in the second port. Another device would reduce the power available to the modem.

kinger 22:37 01 Dec 04

Mine has its own socket.

I do have a powered USB 1 hub but the modem is plugged into a separate USB 2 PCI Card.

GaT7 22:49 01 Dec 04

Have you tried an IE repair? (click here if you need to know how) G

kinger 20:50 02 Dec 04

I will try that now Crossbow7

kinger 21:03 02 Dec 04

My 'add remove' listing doesn't seem to include MS Explorer at all. Maybe because Avant browser has 'taken it over'. I'm not sure.

Graham ® 21:12 02 Dec 04

I would uninstall Avant browser to prove. It says it's an upgrade to IE, but it may have caused conflicts which would account for your problem.

GaT7 01:01 03 Dec 04

You haven't mentioned which OS your using. I'm using Win98se & it shows up in Add/Remove as 'Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and Internet Tools'.

If you're using Win 2000/XP there are other fixes that don't include the Add/Remove applet. See middle/bottom of repair-IE link I provided above, & follow the instructions for your OS. G

pipedream 08:06 03 Dec 04

Have you got a network card installed which isn't connected to anything? Sometimes these cause things to pause (if so, go to device manager & disable it). I don't think this affects IE only though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…