Browser blocking adverts..

San Alwigi 15:58 17 Mar 03

I know this may be a desireable 'problem' for some of you, but for some reason, my Internet Explorer browser that came with XP will not display any advert banners or buttons. All that appears is Action Cancelled where the ads should be. How can I restore them please...?

MAJ 16:05 17 Mar 03

You probably need to download the Java Virtual Machine, which wasn't incluced with XP. click here

San Alwigi 16:23 17 Mar 03

I've been meaning to download that for a while. But that's not the problem. I used to view all banners on websites fine until recently, so its not JVM but something else.

Any other ideas anyone...?

Don't suppose installing something like KaZaa Lite (since uninstalled) could have affected me?

San Alwigi 16:05 20 Mar 03

....anyone? Please?

€dstow 16:25 20 Mar 03

All of these p2p programs leave loads of dross and rubbish behind, even though they claim to be uninstalled.

You could try and remove them with Ad-aware, SpybotS&D and such programs but you best bet is to do a clean reinstall of your system. When you've done that, think very carefully before you install ANY program and think to yourself "Do I really need this program?" Very often you don't and with things like Kazaa you can save yourself a lot of heartache just from a moments extra thought.

€d

San Alwigi 17:38 20 Mar 03

I downloaded and ran Ad Aware...no difference, although it did pick up 12 other dubious 'objects'.

Time to call in the IT manager methinks...

rct 18:28 20 Mar 03

It is Kazaa Lite... it blocks out ads for you by editing the "hosts" file

Navigate to C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc and delete the file "hosts".

Hope this helps :)

San Alwigi 11:54 21 Mar 03

rct -

That did it staright away.

Many, many thanks. Another resolved Helproom thread.

Good Old PC Advisor Forums!!

rct 19:00 21 Mar 03

Glad to be of help :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…