Browse the net anonymously

loopyloo 15:14 24 Jul 04

Can anyone recommend a good freeware program and easy to use,so I can browse the internet anonymously.

cga 15:19 24 Jul 04

There are various levels of anonymous. Your IP provider will always know who you are.

Valvegrid 15:26 24 Jul 04

"I can browse the internet anonymously."

Not a chance, you're more anonymous sitting on the roof of your house with a megaphone telling everyone your address than you are on the internet. Personally it doesn't really worry me because I'm not doing anything I shouldn't.

This will show how easy it is to find out who you are and that's not just your IP address.

click here

Carry on surfing and enjoy and don't worry!

Paul.

woodchip 15:29 24 Jul 04

if you use a good anonymous, most sites will not let you in

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:35 24 Jul 04

browsing+net+anonymously = old wive's tales. We are in 2004 not 1974 ;-))))

G

loopyloo 15:43 24 Jul 04

I only asked as I was reading a computer magazine and it suggested using one but only suggested paid ones. If you say not to bother I won't

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:09 24 Jul 04

They do not work and they will slow down your surfing and/or not let you into many sites. The net is a free resource because there are many ways of tracing anyone abusing the privilege. Any attempt at anonymity will strat closing off the net. Providing that you are not downloading eye-watering amounts of pR0n/films/copyright music, there is no logical reason to want to remain anonymous.

G

Valvegrid 16:28 24 Jul 04

To put it in proportion, there are about 655 million people who have access to the Internet, it is probably more now because that was 2002 figures, so it would be a mammoth task trying to track one person, possible but not likely unless you're do something wrong, I'll let your imagination guess what.

Djohn 17:09 24 Jul 04

Just run a test from your link and the result was perfect on all fronts. All probes failed. Posted below a couple of the results but all are the same. The interesting thing about this is I use only XP's Firewall for protection, plus antivirus applications as well.

===============================================

But YOUR computer has DELIBERATELY CHOSEN NOT TO RESPOND (that's very cool!) which represents advanced computer and port stealthing capabilities. A machine configured in this fashion is well hardened to Internet NetBIOS attack and intrusion.

All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED. (This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.) Relative to vulnerabilities from Windows networking, this computer appears to be VERY SECURE

GaT7 17:40 24 Jul 04

A Google search provided some free ones that claim to shield one's IP address click here. Whether they work or not is another matter. G

tasslehoff burrfoot 22:12 24 Jul 04

from what I understand, the inbuilt XP firewall is perfectly adequate at stopping unwanted incoming traffic.

However it has no facility to stop any outbound traffic.

So you may be protected from the quite unlikely event of a hacker picking on you, but have no protection from a trojan already on your system "calling home".

Obviously if you have the right a/v, anti-trojan software in place you have no need to worry!

As I say this is my understanding and I am happy to be corrected.

Tas

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…