Broken/Cracked CDS

Hinny 00:40 23 Jan 03
  Hinny 00:40 23 Jan 03

On holiday in the USA, a record shop was selling a gadget that "repaired cracked cds", it cost about £20.. Is it possible to repair a cd ? I have a couple of cracked cds with images on it that I would love to retrieve. I have to admit I wondered about it and was tempted !. Any comments ?, cheers

Cordy13 00:44 23 Jan 03

Don't have a clue whether they work, but PCW have similar "Repair Kit".

jazzypop 00:59 23 Jan 03

Cracked or scratched?

click here for a good description of the likelihood of a repair to various types of damage being successful (I would not recommend the blowtorch method, either).

Further info at click here and click here - Google has a whole lot more.

I have twice been asked to repair a CD drive where teenagers have left disks exposed to bright sunlight, causing the disk to go brittle. A CD shattering inside a drive is not a pretty sight, I have never yet managed to resurrect a dead drive that has suffered this abuse.

Therefore, if your disk is truly cracked, you have to weigh up the possibility of rescuing a valuable picture vs. the real possibility of having to replace your disk drive.

If you did decide to have a go, I would recommend placing one of the widely-available 'disk protector' plastic films on both side of the disk, to at least give you some extra stability to the disk.

Cordy13 01:01 23 Jan 03

Good advice.

Hinny 14:19 23 Jan 03

cds cracked, I did it trying to get them out of the case, (over enthusiastic). I really didn't think they could be fixed. cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos