Broken vhs tape

the-emsworth-kid 18:12 04 May 05

Having decided to copy aged vhs tapes to dvd - I've hit a problem - the first tape (and the oldest) that I want to copy has become detached from the 'take-up' spool. Has anybone had any success at re-threading a vhs tape?

Diodorus Siculus 18:17 04 May 05

Yes, with a little bit of pritt stick and a little bit of patience! Just beware forwarding / rewinding that it does not have too much pressure.

Jacy 18:35 04 May 05

Beware using any adhesive likely to come off tape and gum up works. Don't use use ordinary sellotape. You can get specific splicing tape for this.

Hamish 18:37 04 May 05

As Diodorus Siculus says it requires patience. Take the case apart and feed the tape end back into the takeup spool. If you have an old tape which you are not bothered about practice omn that.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:08 04 May 05

Unscrew the 5 screws and split the cassette in two. be careful to take note of where the steel rollers go.

the spools have a little section that presses in to trap the tape. The tape has a clear section at the end if it has snapped near the end then just feed the new end in to the press out section you will lose very little o the start of the recording, much sfer thn gluing as theeis a lot of force on the tape as it stops at the end of a rewindor fast forward.

the-emsworth-kid 11:52 05 May 05

Many thanks to you all for your suggestions - I'm off to 'do battle' with tape in question.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos