Broken usb ports

Nuneatonian 16:20 PM 28 Apr 12

My son has an Acer laptop, unfortunately both his usb ports are broken. Is there an adaptor or something to turn the blue port into a usb port? Don't want to have to pay for a huge expense of having to have a major repair or a complete motherboard. He cannot use anything with usb connection including his mouse.

Nontek 16:36 PM 28 Apr 12
  Nuneatonian 17:06 PM 28 Apr 12

Thank you for your suggestion, unfortunately his lap top does not have a PCMCIA slot.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:17 PM 28 Apr 12

blue port ?

I assume you mean the vga output, if so then the answer is no.

Model number of the Acer?

Nontek 21:47 PM 28 Apr 12

Hmm, I think it is pretty rare for USB ports to break - perhaps all that is needed is to update the USB Drivers ....

To update USB Drivers - in Devices, uninstall all USB items, then re-start the computer. The drivers will be automatically re-installed.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:28 PM 28 Apr 12

I think it is pretty rare for USB ports to break

Unfortunately not! Seen quite a few ham fisted kids mostly but adults too.

They get pushed off the board with the constant plugging in and out.

At least the solder breaks and they can be re-soldered, at worst they actually break off the motherboard and then its a new board required.

Sometimes rarely the actual contacts in the port get damage.

Nontek 22:51 PM 28 Apr 12

*Fruit Bat /\0/*

I bow to and accept, your superior knowledge, it is just that I have only been a computer enthusiast for about 12 years, during which time I have never come across an actual broken USB Port.

Though I still think updating drivers in Devices, is worth a try.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:07 PM 28 Apr 12

I see the broken USBs on laptops never on a desktop.

As we don't know exactly what he means by "broken" updating drivers may well be worth a try.

Nontek 09:30 AM 29 Apr 12

As we don't know exactly what he means by "broken"

Exactly, hence my driver suggestion!

finerty 09:35 AM 29 Apr 12

how many usb ports does have on the acer 3 or 4 or 2 how many and have tested all of them, do you still have the driver disc, we can only help if you give us more input

onthelimit1 09:51 AM 29 Apr 12

When he says 'both', that indicates he only has two! Driver disk is irrelevant.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

See immersive artist and storyteller Chris Milk speak at London VR event

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…