Broken laptop works without the screen - can i connect to another monitor

sh3896 11:21 AM 15 Aug 12

Hi all

I managed to drop my PC recently and now I get a black screen when I switch on. Assuming there isn't an easy fix to that problem (happy with any ideas to the contrary) I'm thinking of legitimately claiming for a new laptop but would want to clean my hard drive first to remove any CC trails, photos, Itunes files etc

It has a HDMI input so I tried tconnecting it to my ASUS monitor - and tried the FN + F1 - 9 keys (after doing some research elsewhere, but I can't get a connection. The screen says no HDMI input found.)

Anyone got any ideas how I can resolve this.

Much appreciated.

Jollyjohn 12:05 PM 15 Aug 12

Does the laptop have an D sub vga output? If so does this work?

If you boot the laptop with the HDMI connected do you get any thing at all on the screen as it boots?

It is relatively easy to pop the laptop HDD out and connected via a usb adapter to another PC and copy the contents.

Another option is to look for a local repair shop and get a quote for a screen replacement. ( I got quoted £115 for a 15" Dell replacement, less if I wanted a 2nd user screen.)

john bunyan 12:38 PM 15 Aug 12

My granddaughter sat on and broke a 15.5 in Toshiba laptop screen. A local shop obtained and fitted a new one at a similar price to Jollyjohn's one.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

MIT builds an awesome 3D printer that can use 10 materials at once

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites