Broken Laptop DC jack

MIKE. 08:27 28 Nov 07

I have a 4 year old Dell laptop that has a broken DC Jack which has completly boken off the mother board.On the Web there a various companies who will resolder a new jack if you send the machine to them for a repair would this seem a risky option thinking in terms of laptop getting lost or never getting it back at all. A further question is if I want to access data on the Laptop Hard drive by slaving to a Desktop is there a cradle I can buy to connect to the desktop Thanks

MAJ 09:05 28 Nov 07
  MAJ 09:09 28 Nov 07
  MIKE. 10:11 28 Nov 07

Thanks MAJ as a secondary question does the laptop hard drive need to be set as slave. The reason I ask I have never slaved a laptop before,desktop yes laptop no.

Eric10 10:18 28 Nov 07

Whether to set the laptop drive as master or slave depends on how you are connecting it to your desktop PC. My usual method in cases like this is to disconnect the secondary master device (usually the DVD rewriter) and connect the laptop drive in its place. I then don't have to make any changes to the jumpers.

MIKE. 10:20 28 Nov 07

Thanks Eric10 will try as you suggest

MAJ 10:25 28 Nov 07

Chances are there will be no jumper on the pins, as they are usually masters (aren't normally 2 drives in a laptop), so you wont have to change anything if you're going to use the ribbon cable in my second link above, MIKE, just temporarily disconnect your secondary IDE cable from the motherboard and replace it with that one.

MIKE. 10:27 28 Nov 07

thanks MAJ both of you great help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac