broken internet connection

geedad 23:31 PM 22 Apr 12

I have been using an i5-Intel PC, coupled by a Virginmedia router ( Netgear on the back) to an older XP. This has been working fine, using emails and websites etc. Now the XP tells me that I have no connection. I have , of course, gone through all of the "settings" list that were originally set, but I still get the no connection message. The XP has an adapter ( d-Link), and in Devices Manager, seems Ok. Do you think the adapter is faulty even though it is shown as OK? I have even gone back to last Friday's Restore Point to no avail. So, does anyone have any idea why it is not connecting? My main PC ( the i5-Intel ) DOES connect OK. geedad

KRONOS the First 04:40 AM 23 Apr 12

I appreciate that the Windows 7 is connecting fine but have you tried nothing more simple than pulling the power supply from the router for 30 seconds? This has worked for me in the past.

mole44 06:08 AM 23 Apr 12

I had dropped connections via virgins superhub,phoned them up and we reset the suberhub to channel 11 and download speed to 145Mbts,all works fine now,give virgin a ring on 150,i'm on vista 64 and 20Mbts ,hope this helps.

geedad 06:50 AM 23 Apr 12

Chronus Yes,

Chronus, and thank you. I DID try that, but nothing was fixed.

mole44

OK, that looks a good bet, and I will give them a bell today! Many, many thanks to you both! geedad

Sorry for the delay in replying - fell asleep trying to fathom it out!

birdface 07:12 AM 23 Apr 12

have you tried just taking the D-link out and then reinstalling it.Or turn the Superhub off remove the d-link turn the superhub back on wait for a minute and then plug the the D-Link in again.

geedad 11:50 AM 23 Apr 12

mole44

Chronus

OK! Just contacted Virginmedia and after a few minutes they got my XP connected to my Win 7! Great service, and thanks for all of your help!

geedad

KRONOS the First 12:33 PM 23 Apr 12

geedad.

Did they tell you what the problem was? How was it resolved? Useful to know as it might help someone in a similar position.

geedad 14:16 PM 24 Apr 12

mole44 Yes, It seems that it was something to do with the "Auto" settings. This was changed to "1" (One). That's the most I can remember!! But thank you again for your advice. geedad

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries discuss Designing the Future

OS X Yosemite vs Windows 10: The Mac and PC operating systems go head to head UPDATED