Broken graphics card or monitor ?

moopuk 03:47 06 Nov 07

Hi...

I have a Dell Dimension 5150 Desktop. Its linked to a Viewsonic VP930 monitor which runs through a Dell supplied Radeon X600 256MB Hypermemory graphics card.

A week ago the screen went blank while I tried to use the PC. I still get the Viewsonic onscreen blue box gumf but when the PC starts there is no XP welcome screen or anything else for that matter - completely black, although I can here the XP Welcome Screen tune.

Ive hooked up a D-Sub connection to the same monitor bypassing the DVI terminal and all works fine... but I get no vision whatsoever via the DVI lead !

Do any forum members have any idea what might be wrong ?

Dell have tried to fix the problem unsuccessfully via telephone support. They have offered to send me a new graphics card FOC...

...But should I get onto Viewsonic and try and get a new monitor, or do you guys have another suggestion !

Incidentally, I have no way of asking friends if they would hook up my DVI monitor to there DVI graphics enabled PC to work out it if it is a monitor problem cos they all have old analogue graphics cards.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Mark

Totally-braindead 08:11 06 Nov 07

Why not wait till you get the free graphics card and try that?
It could be either at fault but I think its most likely to be the graphics card.

Will 17:55 06 Nov 07

If I remember correctly if when you turn the computer on and you here the "beep", this means the monitor is working correctly. There used to be a set of rules telling you what diferent beeps told you about the different faults, suffix to say if the beep is normal it is not lokely to be the monitor.

Totally-braindead 19:00 06 Nov 07

You mean beep codes Will click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…