broken drive can i use recovery discs on an external drive?

garypf 18:13 17 Mar 15

my internal drive is broken on my sony vaio and ive been using a external drive which has been fine but now i want to reset everything using my recovery discs but im worried it will not recognise the external drive at some point during the process can any shed any light on this cheers Garypf

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:22 17 Mar 15

I am surprise you have been able to boot windows on an external drive.

If your recovery disks contain an image you could just replace the drive and recover to the new drive.

If the recovery disks only contain software to actuate an image in a hidden partition on the drive then you will not be able to recover.

Is the drive physically damaged (making noises) or just corrupted (won't boot)

garypf 18:29 17 Mar 15

the internal disc drive is just spinning away not reading anything.. i haven't tried re-booting with my external drive yet as disc 1 wipes everything and disc 2 restores it back to factory settings, I've got a feeling it wont run disc 2 once disc 1 has wiped everything

robin_x 18:53 17 Mar 15

If you look in Disk Management you should see your internal and external drives (Disks 0 and 1) and the partition map.

Like this

(Press Windows key and R and type diskmgmt.msc)

Do you see partitions or is the drive missing or blank?

---

Installing to external drive might work and equally it might not and you'll have a screwed up ext drive.

It's not an ideal solution though even if it does.

Secret-Squirrel 19:10 17 Mar 15

I think the OP's talking about optical (DVD/CD) drives.

Gary, in principle, if you can boot from disk #1 then disk #2 should work too. If you're at all nervous then create a disk image of your hard drive first so you can put everything back to how it was if there's some sort of disaster.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:21 17 Mar 15

What op system?

Try tapping F8 as you power on and see if it allows you to get to the advance tools menu and choose Startup repair

Secret-Squirrel 20:07 17 Mar 15

Gary, please confirm whether you're talking about a broken internal hard drive or optical drive. If it's the latter then I may have a much better idea for your factory restore.

garypf 21:25 17 Mar 15

the hard drive is fine its the optical drive(DVD/CD)Thats not reading discs secret squirrel

Secret-Squirrel 21:45 17 Mar 15

".....its the optical drive(DVD/CD)Thats not reading discs secret squirrel"

That's what I thought.

Most laptops have a hidden hard-drive partition that contains all the files necessary to restore the computer back to its factory condition. This feature is usually accessed either by pressing a certain F8 key on startup, or, it appears as an option in the "System Recovery Options" screen which you get to via F8 at startup -> "Repair your computer". No DVDs are required. The Sony support webpage for your particular model will tell you what restore options are available to you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…