Broken Drive

Paula Michelle 16:01 07 May 05

I am trying to get to the bottom of a mystery.

I had an old Duron 1100 PC running Windows 98 with a motherboard which first went wrong (loss of some functionality) and finally failed to boot.

I needed a PC desperately and my friend provided a Celeron 1000 PC running Windows XP with 512MB RAM. It contained an 80GB PATA Maxtor Diamond Plus 9 HDD with 2mb cache which contained back up files as well as the windows system. He added my own old HDD to the PC which was an 8GB drive and had been in the failed PC, but it contained all my important data without which a computer would be meaningless to me.

After 24 hours his Celeron PC packed up (every time it tried to boot there was an audible click and it continually went round in circles trying and failing to boot). When my friend investigated it he found that his 80GB HDD had failed.

"Your old disk drive has shagged my new one,"" he said, and offered some talk about spikes and transferred problems as explanation, which I somehow thought didn't add up.

I have since bought him a new 80GB HDD. And I have bought a cheap mobo+Sempron bundle with vga card, another 80GB HDD (SATA) plus a DVD ROM and got my friend to install these into my old case together with Windows XP as a new standby PC to last me until I can upgrade properly.

But my old 8GB drive is apparently still running in a very old computer without problems at my friend's house as that is the only way we can get the old but highly important data from it. (And all my attempts to back up my data were foiled by the old faulty mobo.)

I would like those on this forum who have lots of experience and expertise to offer their take on this, and I have an open mind and a thick skin so please be frank. Is it possible or likely that my disk drive wrecked his by coming from a pc with a faulty motherboard?

madPentium 16:10 07 May 05

I have heard many times how someone blames someone elses hard drive for fouling theirs up.
Firstly, if you are going to install a suspect drive into a system, always put it onto a different channel to yours. He should have put your drive onto the secondary ide channel and not slaved it off the primary, but maybe he did?
If your drive is still working and giving no problems then no way did it cause his drive to pack up, his drive was going to pack up when it did regardless. I tend to leave my system running 24/7 and its only when I eventually turn off and on again (about once a month) that a hard drive fails. This is when you get a 'surge' of power into the drive and any problems with bearings will come into play as they have to try to spin up and become balanced again. It may have been that your hard drive had some kind of boot sector virus? which found its way to his hard drive. Did he try to reformat his old drive to see if it was ok?

Paula Michelle 16:41 07 May 05

I don't know if he did, but I will find out. I have no complaints since his work on my PC plus his contributions in software have been outstanding and continuous over many years. But I am trying to learn about computers and I don't want to learn the wrong things simply on account of diplomacy getting in the way.

woodchip 16:44 07 May 05

For me NO

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:48 07 May 05

Very unlikely for your drive to cause his to fail.

Virus transfer is possile but if your drive working still, in yet another machine then not your drives fault.

woodchip 16:54 07 May 05

Only thing your drive could do is transfer a Virus. But if the Drive Failed I would say Coincidence

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…