Broken DIMM clip

Gaz W 22:09 30 May 04

I need to add another memory module to a motherboard of a friend's, but unfortunately one of the clips on the second (and last) DIMM slot has broken off. The board only takes 256MB PC66, and the first slot is occupied by 128MB. The other 128MB won't go in - and stay in - without the white plastic clip there, so I was wandering whether there's anywhere I can get a replacement. If I try and take one from another board it will probably snap off!

It would just save going to the expense of a new motherboard, when the system they have is perfectly adequate for what they use it for.

Any help much appreciated.

woodchip 22:35 30 May 04

6ins Nail!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but on the cheerful side only you can fathom out as you are the one there on the job, so to speak on how to fix it elastic bands anything that's not metal

Gaz W 22:39 30 May 04

It looks like it's going to have to be something crude! Anyway thanks for your help. If I do find a clip it shouldn't be too hard to fit, but other than that it might just have to be an elastic band! Or change to a desktop case and just have the module sitting in it so gravity won't make it fall out of the slot!

Anyway thanks again for your help - resolved I think!

Gaz

The Spires 22:57 30 May 04

Hot glue.

Djohn 23:52 30 May 04

One of mine snapped off last year due to me being clumsy and the old fingers not working too well. No problem though as the memory stick still clicks in firmly at both ends and has not given any problems to date.

woodchip 23:59 30 May 04

You Could even jam a match end into the end of the slot, if you are not too heavy handed

hugh-265156 00:03 31 May 04

maybe some blu tac might work

Gaz W 01:48 31 May 04

Well I'm willing to give anything a try!

If there's no way I can get a replacement clip I'll have a go at those things.

Unfortunately the memory actually falls out; it won't stay in very well because to be honest the DIMM slots are rubbish. The motherboard is an old Chaintech CT-6ESA2, and the DIMM slots seem almost rubbery! The end where the clip has come out can bend, but the clip has actually snapped at the part it joins on and a piece is missing - I would have glued it otherwise.

Anyway thanks everyone for your suggestions,

Gaz.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now