Broken cd-rw worth mending?

Mr Tibbs 07:32 22 Jan 03
  Mr Tibbs 07:32 22 Jan 03

Hi there,
I have a Teac CD-516EB cd-rw which has stopped working. When I put a cdrom into the drive it tells me to insert a disk. In my computer there is a little icon to say the right disk is in the drive. I have tried deleating the driver and let windows XP reload it but this hasn't helped. It will play music cd's though.
Is it worth getting the drive mended, can I do this myself, or am I better off spending the money on a new drive. Cheers for any help.

Tog 07:43 22 Jan 03

Can you get cleaning kits for CD-RWs? Might be worth a try.

hoverman 08:10 22 Jan 03

My CD-RW drive has also stopped working. It will read disks OK but refuses to write - only 2x write speed is shown as being available when using NERO instead of the full range from 2x up to 40x. This happened a few weeks ago and cleared after using an Allsop CD lens cleaner. However this time the drive will not even play the music you get on the Allsop disk so I suspect my drive is definitely faulty. I would certainly recommend that you try Tog's suggestion to use a lens cleaner first before buying a new drive.

Given the speed, and cost, of new drives I would bin this one and start over. For example, a brand New Plextor 48x24x48 cost me £65.00 the other day (With black front too!). Grat buy considering my last plextor (24x10x40) cost me £179.00!!!

Just make sure all the cables are firmly inserted on this old one before you splash out!

Coaster3 08:43 22 Jan 03

Aopen 48x12x50 IDE Internal CD-RW Drive - Retail Box £37.59 inc VAT

LG 48x16x48 IDE Internal CD-RW Drive - With Nero S/W - Retail Box QuickFind Code: 43238 | Mfr part #: GCE8480B LG Electronics Ltd £33.99 + VAT

I bought two of the LG machines on a recommendation from another forum member and would now recommend them myself.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…