Broardband Novice & security

Dorsai 21:47 05 Jul 04

I Will shortly be switching over to Broardband. I Have a fiewall, antivirus, and anti ad-ware...My question is, when i start XP-home it goes to a logon page...are my various security programs already running at this point, or is XP 'invunerable' at this stage of the startup? The Dial up connection i use now is of course not connected at this point, so i am not worried, but broardband is 'always on'.

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:49 05 Jul 04

Your programmes will be running all the time, at least the AV and firewall will.

G

sa long as firewall is starts when you first login and you dont disable you will be fine apart from alot of warning will be set off due to always being connected

Dorsai 21:52 05 Jul 04

I hope so....Norton 2004....Just had me worried thats all...Just have the habit of getting home from work, turn PC on, Go for shower, half hour later sign into XP...it's been on for half an hour. What sort of damage could a hacker/trojan/virus do while i am away?

norton is great you will have no porbs what so ever

Dorsai 21:55 05 Jul 04

Fire wall and antivirus set to auto start for all users....If they go down then phone gets unpluged till they are up and running and happy.

Wrong 21:55 05 Jul 04

Lots ...Or at the least cause some nasty tricks

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:56 05 Jul 04

You will not get hacked on a home computer and the broadband connection only starts when you sign in. I have set mine to start manually, when I clikc on Avant browser.

G

it really depends on where you are on the net i think if you are just wondering you proberly will be fine if you use p2p networks thats where i find most of the hacker are lying about

Dorsai 22:00 05 Jul 04

Just did not know...was sorta worried. At least if it is that these (rather vital) progs start up with the Pc and not when i sign on it, i won't have to worry. can leave it on all day, as i have the habit of doing, when half way through somthing and don't have to worry. New to XP and Broardband.

Dorsai 22:03 05 Jul 04

gandalf..

You always seem to know what you are talkign about. Do you mean that even though the connection is always there, it is 'not working' if Xp is at the 'sign in' screen...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…