Broardband networking

homer4god 10:45 27 Nov 04

I have 2 systems, one XP home SP2 and the other Windows 2000 networked together via a crossover cable. The file and printer sharing works fine on both computers.I have a Broardband modem connected to the XP computer. I want to share this connection with the win2000 machine.

My firewall is setup to allow the win2000 computer, the windows firewall is disconnected. Both computers can ping each other.

The problem is when I try to connect with the Win2000 machine I can't get a connection at all.

Can anyone please give me any pointers as to where I am going wrong.

Cheers

Forum Editor 11:17 27 Nov 04

via a crossover cable isn't going to work - at least not in any real sense, because the rate of data exchange via the cable isn't fast enough.

To do the job properly you'll need a router - either connected to the computers via standard ethernet networking cable and PCI network adapters, or a wireless version that transmits the broadband connection to both machines. In that case you'll need wireless network adapters in both computers.

The hard ware isn't as expensive as you might think, and setting the whole thin up will take less than an hour.

steven_frost 11:22 27 Nov 04

I have to disagree i first networked my girlfriends laptop and desktop with a cross over cable with no problems the best advice is to run the network setup wizard on the xp box then create a network wizard disk from their put the disk in to the win 2000 box and run from their it should work fine

Forum Editor 12:12 27 Nov 04

I said it wouldn't work in any real sense - the crossover cable can't move data fast enough, and there are issues if you want to play games online. The other drawback is that the 'connected' computer must be running before the other one can share the connection - with a router any machine can access the broadband connection without the need for any other machine to be turned on.

My apologies for not giving a more elaborate explanation first time around.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…