Broadcasting ip address

digitaldilema 22:18 20 Jan 03
  digitaldilema 22:18 20 Jan 03

I am currently running XP and have been getting a message saying: Your computer is currently broadcasting an IP address. I am on NTL broadband
therefore are connected permanantly. When i was on dial up before my IP changed on every reconnection. Is there any way that i can change my IP address now at regular intervals, or is it safe enough.

jazzypop 22:25 20 Jan 03

The 'message' is in fact an advert for some rather dubious online privacy software, disguised to look like an authentic message.

Your PC absolutely has to broadcast it's IP address, or the server that you are connecting to will not know where to send the web page that you are trying to view.

Please ignore it.

If you are concerned about blocking unwanted intrusions, I suggest a firewall from Sygate - click here

VoG™ 22:27 20 Jan 03

Its a scam. Ignore it.

HOWEVER you should have a firewall and anti-virus. If you don't post back for suggestions (there are free ones).

obbit 22:30 20 Jan 03

hi

are you using the xp firewall? if so you should be ok.

regards

obbit

esbe 22:37 20 Jan 03

Hi, I had the same message yesterday, then another message to download 'security protection'.
As jazzypop & VOG mentioned, ignore it as it's probably a scam. If your Firewall/Anti virus is up to date dont worry.
cheers.

digitaldilema 22:52 20 Jan 03

I am running zone alarm, i am not sure if i am running XP firewall, does this run automatically or do you have to set it up?.

jazzypop 22:58 20 Jan 03

Do not try to run Zone Alarm and the XP firewall at the same time, this wil only lead to difficulties. Just stick with Zone Alarm.

VoG™ 22:59 20 Jan 03

If you have ZoneAlarm (which is better) you don't need XP's firewall and it is v=best to turn it off.

To enable or disable Internet Connection Firewall
Open Network Connections
Click the Dial-up, LAN or High-Speed Internet connection that you want to protect, and then, under Network Tasks, click Change settings of this connection.
On the Advanced tab, under Internet Connection Firewall, select one of the following:
To enable Internet Connection Firewall (ICF), select the Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet check box.
To disable Internet Connection Firewall, clear the Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet check box.
Notes

To open Network Connections, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Network Connections.
You must be logged on as a computer administrator to complete this procedure.
If you clear the Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet check box, the firewall on your computer is disabled, and your network is vulnerable to intrusions.

obbit 23:01 20 Jan 03

hi zone alarm should be ideal. if you open zonealarm and click on overview on the right hand side roughly in the middle you should see your security status. if it needs updating then do so if you have a green tick then you are ok. you don't need xp firewall and yes you have to turn it on. you can download popup stopper at click here and search on there for popup stopper

regards

obbit

digitaldilema 23:10 20 Jan 03

Thanks everyone,will use zone alarm only. I was just a bit concerned with those messages.
Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…