Broadband/router causes dropped connections

ddma 21:16 29 Aug 03

I have NTL broadband from the set top box to a netgear rp114 router, this then connects to two pc's. Both pc's have zonealarm loaded. For the vast majority of the time a internet connection is maintained but all of a sudded for no apparent reason one or both machines will loose a connection. I cannot then get a web page or use outlook to get mail, interestingly though i can still connect with kazaa lite and download/share files. I seem to think it might have something to do with port 80 connections but this is a bit beyond my abilities to figure out.
By the way it still drops a web connection if I disable zonealarm. If I connect the stb direct to one pc all is always OK.
Any advice would be really appreciated.
Thanks, Darren

jazzypop 21:27 29 Aug 03

Have you been to netgear.com and downloaded the latest firmware?

Does a reboot of your router (unplug power for 10 seconds) restore your web connection?

Do you have any rules enabled in the web interface for the router?

ddma 22:15 29 Aug 03

Yes, been to netgear site & yes have latest firmware.
Sometimes a reboot of pc/pc's and/or reboot of router does restore connection.
Only rule is to allow xbox to connect by setting default dmz server to ip address outside pool starting address plus the count.

jazzypop 22:41 29 Aug 03

Try a full manual uninstall of Zonealarm on one PC only - see click here for details.

If you only loose your Web connection on the PC with ZA, and the other one continues working, then you have found your culprit.

Disabling ZA is not enough - I have seen many machines with ZA disabled or even uninstalled using add/remove programs that continued to block web access.

ddma 22:57 29 Aug 03

OK thanks I will try this and let you know what happens

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced