Broadband/Networking Services problem

Jugsy 23:52 23 Aug 03

I have had Ntl broadband installed but am unable to connect and register to the service. After over 3 hours on the phone to Ntl, they diagnosed the problem is with my Networking Services in Windows XP.

In the add/remove Windows components, only 1 (internet gateway) of the 4 parts of Networking Services is installed. I was informed that the remaining 3 components would need to be installed for broadband to work.

When I install these extra 3 components, my Start button and taskbar become unusable and if I try to restart or shutdown the computer comes up with a problem with explorer.exe. I have to use Safe Mode and system restore to get a usuable machine again.

Ntl have said that it is not their problem and my manufacturer (who has responsibility for the OS support) claim that they do not know what the problem is. Can anybody help??

Thanks in advance.

Forum Editor 00:32 24 Aug 03

the following protocols installed (via your dial up networking connection properties) before the service will work:

Internet protocol (TCP/IP)

QoS packet scheduler

Client for Microsoft networks

The type of server you are calling should be set for: PPP:Windows 95/98/NT4/2000 Internet.

In the Windows add/remove components networking section you should only need to add the Internet Gateway device discovery component - the other three boxes needn't be ticked, and if you've been told they should I am very surprised.

I've been surprised before mind you, but this time I am VERY surprised.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…