Broadband/Dialup advice please

mrsp 20:56 08 Jul 04

I have today upgraded to broadband and it comes with a firewall, OS is XP and it has a firewall which I had to disable to install the software. Do I need to enable the XP firewall again ?. Thank you.

mrsp 21:01 08 Jul 04

Do I have to remove my Dialup settings?, I am so frightened of broadband not working if I do remove it. Cheers

Graham ® 21:11 08 Jul 04

No, just unplug the dial up modem for now. Advice on firewalls, antivirus, spyware will surely follow.

Dipso 22:11 08 Jul 04

My ISP provides a firewall but it is limited so I use it in addition to my software firewall ZoneAlarm.

I was advised to disable the XP firewall as it is not supposed to be very effective.

kev.Ifty 22:34 08 Jul 04

you only need one firewall, you choose which one
I am in a similar situation as you(new to broardband)
Leave your dailup settings as they are thats ok
Dont leave your dailup modem plugged in to the phone line. This prevents dailers from working and you getting mad phone bills.
It is probably easier to use your antivirus software's firewall if it has one and keep it updated!
ps i have xp firewall and Norton enabled so what
you do is whats best for you
if you havent already...download adaware and spybot.. these will assist with your security

click here

click here

THE TERMINATOR 23:46 08 Jul 04

It will not hurt your system to have both firewalls up....TT

mrsp 16:48 09 Jul 04

The modem is not plugged in, we took the plug out to put the router in. I should have said the dialup settings on the computer ie. the internet settings in the control panel though I suppose it has security setting, it will have to stay ?
I will enable XP firewall and istall Zone Alarm again as I had to remove that too, to allow the software to install. I have spybot, AVG and ad-aware follwing the advice you have given in other forums.
Thank you all for your help once more. I am a silly old silver surfer who is trying to keep one step ahead of problems. Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…