Broadband Wireless - what do I need?

lindy 22:26 24 Jul 03

I have two computers and a laptop and am thinking of converting to broadband, which I'm lead to believe is available in my area.

I need to know what I would need and where to get the cheapest. A friend suggested Netgear DG824M wireless/4 port switch + 2 MA311 PCI Cards and 1 MA401 PCMCIA card [+ compact flash for my Jornada but that can wait]. But why should I go to Netgear, is it better than others and is there anywhere to get it cheap?

Finally, where can I get a cheap broadband supplier [cheap per month under £20 preferably]and will I have to use their equipment?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

fitshase 22:42 24 Jul 03

I use Telewest Broadband (Blueyonder) which is £25 per month if you have their TV package.

I also have a wireless network set up using a Netgear FM114P wireless router and an Actiontec PCMCIA card in a laptop. My desktop computer is connected to the wireless router via a network cable and the router has a built in access point for the wireless card.

If you are going down the wireless network route then I would go for a wireless router as that way all of the computers can access the internet without having to have a gateway computer switched on. Also, if you go for the router then I wouldn't bother buying a wireless card for a desktop machine if it is going to be located next to the point where the broadband comes into your home. This will cut down on the cost.

As for selecting Netgear products, if you do a search in the Consumer Forum on this site for Netgear, you should find some very favourable reports on Netgear's customer service. This alone is worth a bit extra.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Fitshase

Forum Editor 23:50 24 Jul 03

Has provided you with a nice answer - I agree with it.

Perhaps I should add that I have personally used both Linksys and Belkin wireless products, and have found them to be every bit as good as Netgear components.

lindy 12:01 13 Sep 03

Help appreciated and system now works great - one small problem in that I can't get the system networked and I can't find any reading material on how to network wirelessley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now