Broadband & Wireless speed relationship

Baz48 01:28 02 Oct 04

Can someone please explain the relationship between the internet speeds of 56kbps dial-up and 512kbps broadband with the transfer speeds of wireless routers at 11Mbps and 54Mbps.

If the wireless 11Mbps can transfer data 22 times faster than the 512k broadband can deliver what's the point of the 54Mbps router?

Also, at what speed can a cable connection transfer?

I must be missing something fundimental here.

Cheers
Baz

AndySD 05:43 02 Oct 04

You are correct on the maximum speeds and for most people the 11Mbps will be fine, but you would be very lucky to get the max speed. With me its to do with transfering large graphics and other files between the pc's and the laptop. I like the higher speeds.

Most cabled networks brought now transfer at 100Mbps

Baz48 11:29 02 Oct 04

Thanks for the reply,

So,if I was downloading from the internet on 512k broadband via a wireless 54Mbps router, at what speed would it be hitting my PC? Assuming max speed throughout.

Cheers
Baz

€dstowe 11:42 02 Oct 04

Remember there are other uses for a wireless setup than just linking Internet facilities together.

I have a system at home which will transmit full screen high quality video to a second computer via a wireless router - far faster than an Internet connection could even dream of, even at the fastest rates of the current technology.

AndySD 19:26 02 Oct 04

512k as that is the slowest.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…