broadband will work upstairs but not downstairs

leeknight67 11:27 29 Oct 06

Hello, I have just gone to talktalk broadband. I can not get Broadband to work downstairs where i need it most. I have Got The connection fine upstairs and it works fine. But when i try to connect downstairs it goes through the process of verifying username and password 6 or 7 times before saying cannot connect to remote computer. Please Help I am Stumped on this one

Cheers

Lee

JoE. 12:21 29 Oct 06

How is the modem, etc. set up? i.e. which computer is it connected to?

How did you get the connection working fine upstairs?

Did any software come with the modem? Have you installed the appropriate software on the appropriate machine?

Have you followed the instructions to the letter? It sounds tedious but sometimes is the easiest solution.

Stuartli 13:38 29 Oct 06

Is it a wired or wireless setup or are you just connecting a second modem to the phone socket downstairs?

Have you also used a splitter/filter on all the phone sockets, answer phones, Sky box (if you have one) etc?

leeknight67 13:56 29 Oct 06

I just took my laptop upstairs and tried it on the phone socket. everything is fine as im on the internet upstairs. if i were to go to the downstairs plug it wont connect. put ive used the phone downstairs that works fine. its i wired modem

Stuartli 14:09 29 Oct 06

It could be a faulty socket.

If it's a BT Master socket which allows the removal on the front bottom section, try the connection in the test socket (via a splitter/filter).

Graham. 14:27 29 Oct 06

Check you're not connecting the modem via the TELEPHONE socket of a filter.

leeknight67 15:45 29 Oct 06

i have tested it in the bt master socket and still no joy. i am back upstairs. There cant be a fault with the master socket because i am using it upstairs?

Fingees 15:48 29 Oct 06

have you tried swapping your filters you have on the sockets.

You may just have a duff one downstairs.

leeknight67 15:49 29 Oct 06

yes that has been tried

Stuartli 17:01 29 Oct 06

>>There cant be a fault with the Master socket because i am using it upstairs?>>

Not necessarily so; depends on the extension's (or extensions') wiring at the Master socket.

leeknight67 18:07 29 Oct 06

i was using the internet downstairs 3 days ago but with another broadband provider

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…