Broadband wi-fi

dontaskme 18:34 24 Jun 03

I have a fairly old pc (p3 750) and a new centrino based laptop. I have broadband on the pc and want to access it through the laptop at the same time as the pc is on (doesn't need to be able to use it without the pc on, because i could just plug it in)

How? (is the simple question)

(How can i access the internet from the 'hotspots'?)

stoner 20:50 24 Jun 03

dontaskme
running p3 700, broadband TeleWest, bought Belkin Router and wirelessly networked to my other two computers (xp) fairly painlessly.
You will need extra wireless NICs for the other computers and to telephone broadband provider Helpline with physical address of the new Router.
Otherwise, pimps,
Stoner, alias networking ace!!

jazzypop 21:11 24 Jun 03

Which version(s) of Windows are you running on each machine?

dontaskme 21:16 24 Jun 03

xp home on the desktop and xp pro on the laptop.

Will it cost much to sort this out?

dontaskme 21:18 24 Jun 03

Do i need a router?
I just want to connect the two, so that if my girlfriend is using the internet, i can use the laptop at the same time.

jazzypop 21:27 24 Jun 03

You just need to run the Network Setup Wizard, which will configure your PCs for ICS (Internet Connection Sharing).

Type Network Wizard into Start > Help, and select the 'Start the Network Wizard' link. Just make sure you choose the correct adaptors when stepping through the questions - it's really simple :)

dontaskme 23:39 24 Jun 03

Will it share the internet if i just get a 'wi-fi' card for the pc?

jazzypop 19:38 25 Jun 03

Yes, it will. As you were talking about using your laptop to communicate wirelessly with your desktop, I presumed that you had a wireless card for your desktop. My apologies.

dontaskme 00:25 26 Jun 03

That's great.

So all i need is a normal wireless card for the pc and then start setting it up?

belcanto 01:04 11 Nov 04

Hi there-I have two belkin products, one is a modem/router 54g with built in wi-fi. The other is a pc card for my t22 ibm think pad.I have set both bits of kit up, and the modem works fine with bb, the wi-fi utility on laptop says connected. Yet I cant connect to internet-have tried both ICS and network connections wizards to no avail. Where am I going wrong?

belcanto

belcanto 01:04 11 Nov 04

Hi there-I have two belkin products, one is a modem/router 54g with built in wi-fi. The other is a pc card for my t22 ibm think pad.I have set both bits of kit up, and the modem works fine with bb, the wi-fi utility on laptop says connected. Yet I cant connect to internet-have tried both ICS and network connections wizards to no avail. Where am I going wrong?

belcanto

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…