Broadband Virgin Seeks Assistance

Loadsachi 09:43 31 Jul 04

I recently got 'wired up' to NTL's 600Mb BB and tried to to work through the setup CD connecting to a set top box using Windows XP Home on a Time laptop.I've tried both ethernet and USB connections (after waiting for the adapter by post which the engineer should have left).

Got as far as '..wait while we obtain a new IP address' to be told 'DHCP release/renew failed ...' and that I have network adapters 'set to HDCP'- whatever that means.

NTL's tech support have suggested going back to Time, 'cos the laptop's a recent buy, but I had a bit of a struggle just getting the laptop from Time in the first place and I want to avoid another one.

I am a bit of a novice at this game, but Device Manager does confirm that 'HDCP is enabled'. It looks as if I need to disable this 'HDCP' to get any further.

Can anyboby help to avoid having to suffer Time Computers again.

Budgie100 09:58 31 Jul 04

The only reference I can find for HDCP is "Short for high-bandwidth digital-content protection, a specification developed by Intel for protecting digital entertainment content that uses the DVI interface" (click here ... I cant beleive this is what they are refering to, but if it is, there are links on this site (search for HDCP) and maybe they will help?

Loadsachi 10:28 31 Jul 04

Thanks for the assist, Budgie100.

I now have a rough idea what DHCP is and does - and I've discovered a useful website.

Gives me a chance to follow a few more 'lines of enquiry'

Loadsachi 10:28 31 Jul 04

Thanks for the assist, Budgie100.

I now have a rough idea what DHCP is and does - and I've discovered a useful website.

Gives me a chance to follow a few more 'lines of enquiry'

Danoh 11:01 31 Jul 04

I also had trouble using NTL's setup CD but for a cable modem rather than a set-top box and the setup CD contents should have improved in the year since I did the setup.

However, should it be of any help, I found that by ignoring the setup CD altogether and letting Windows XP Home try to talk to the device, all the relevant drivers and settings were done correctly and I was working fine. Mind you, I had to delete all the aspects that the setup CD was half-way through installing first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…