Broadband video still jerky after speed upgrade

The Belarussian Mafia 21:57 09 Jul 05

Nothing unusual about internet video being jerky, but my connection has just been upgraded from 512kb to 2Mb, and I thought it would no longer happen. Do I need to upgrade from 512Mb RAM to get round this or is it just an unavaoidable aspect of internet video players (BBC news in this case)? PS - Win XP.

Mr Beeline 22:37 09 Jul 05

Hi

The BBC news appears to stream it's data at 256kbps, or there abouts. So going from 512kbps to 2 MB wont make any difference. Someone can correct me if I'm talking rubbish...

Question.. have you got the connection speed for RealPlayer (assuming your are using this rather than Windows media player) set to "high quality"? IE 256kbps or above.

I find the quality on the BBC news site acceptable, so it sounds like it might be your PC, rather than the speed of your internet connection. 1GB of memory certainly would be helpful. Though there may be someone out there with other suggestions.

Good luck...

The Belarussian Mafia 08:45 12 Jul 05

Mr Beeline - Many thanks. Changed the connection speed setting from 512kb to 728kb (the maximum for DSL) and everything is now hunky dory.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…