Broadband On Two PC's

AbodeMilano 11:22 17 May 04

Oh I'll try and make it simple.

Telephone point downstairs, and in my bedroom. (Same phone line)

Networking not possible.

I have modem and I can connect to the broadband

Can my mum get a modem and use it downstairs at the same time?

AndySD 11:27 17 May 04

Nope ...but you can use a wireless network. Your options will depend if the broadband modem connects to your pc by USB or a network cable.

Chronos 11:52 17 May 04

why not a wireless network? both surf to your hearts content....

AbodeMilano 11:58 17 May 04

Because I'm scared of networks. One pc is up one down so how will the signal go through the floor?

AbodeMilano 11:58 17 May 04

Because I'm scared of networks. One pc is up one down so how will the signal go through the floor?

AndySD 12:01 17 May 04

Its just the same as the way your radio recieves signals through walls and floors.

AbodeMilano 12:06 17 May 04

Oh, one more thing, Its a 1mb line, and I play a few onling games. Will it slow down that much just for surfing the internet, which is all my mum does.

AndySD 12:19 17 May 04

No you should notice no difference.

Macareno 12:22 17 May 04

Internet surfing happens in short bursts. That means that the you go to a page (follow a link or enter a web address), the page (down)loads which is the transfer burst itself, and then you read the contents of the page and then decide what you do next. That means that most of the time the line is free, so you should not feel ill effects in your online gaming experience under normal browsing circumstances.

ste_bla 12:24 17 May 04

No it shouldnt slow you down as web pages are small..

Seen Wireless router with erthernet connection and an access point for 100 on Dabs click here

What you do is connect the router to the phoneline
connect your comp to the router ether via the ethernet/network card (if dont have one they 10pound max (pci))
the connect the access point to mums comp and you are ready to go!

One question have you got ASDL or Cable?

AbodeMilano 13:37 17 May 04

Oh right I'll give it a go, thanks for you're help everyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…