Broadband timing out

silliw 20:56 19 Apr 04

A friend of mine has a problem losing the internet on his Telewest broadband connection aftre about 20 minutes of use. The only way to resolve it is to restart the machine.
He is running XP home on an Athlon machine with his B/B through a Motorola SB4100 modem on a Netgear NIC. It would appear that he loses his connection completely as the LAN icon in the tray disappears at the same time.

Is this a faulty network card or could it be another conflict. He is not aware of making any changes on his machine that could cause this error.

thanks in advance for any help.

howard60 21:46 19 Apr 04

I had a problem with ntl bb when first connected which kept coming up 'network connection failed' this turned out to be a faulty nic. Once changed never more a problem.

giggsy 22:02 19 Apr 04

I use aol broadband and had a similar problem.
Try looking in device manager, select the modem and look at properties. With mine there is a checkbox that says "Allow the pc to turn modem off to save power" (or words to that effect).
If not, I'm not sure!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…