Broadband test speeds - Upload speed 'fixed'?

CurlyWhirly 19:44 18 Oct 04

When I run the broadband speed test at click here I notice that my upload speed ALWAYS seems to stay around the 238 kbps mark (not including overheads) but my download speed can vary from around 898 kbps to around 960 kbps (not including overheads) depending on the time of day.

I know that at busy times this can affect the download speed (for obvious reasons like more people competing for bandwidth) but why is it that even though I run the above test at quiet and busy times my upload speed NEVER seems to stray from around 238 kbps?
Does BT somehow 'fix' this upload speed?
Just curious!

CurlyWhirly 19:57 18 Oct 04

p.s. Does anyone have a link for an up to date website where you can type in your telephone number and this tells you whether your local broadband enabled exchange is at capacity or not?

If your local exchange is at capacity do BT know about this?
I used to use a website for this purpose and this told me that my exchange was RED meaning at busy times of the day my download speed would suffer but unfortunately I have somehow lost track of it!

Dorsai 19:59 18 Oct 04

As you say, the download (data going 'Down' the line to your PC) speed is effected by 'contention'.

IE you are contending (Fighting) with other BB users on your loop for down-load bandwith...At busy times, there is not enough to go around, so the download speed drops..

But as you say, the upload speed is not only fixed at maximum, but, uploading (data going up the line, out of your PC) is rather rare...Normally limited to 'send me this page', a small amount of data..If loads of poeple suddenyl decided to update their web page all at once, and they were all on your 'loop' this figure would fall too, but most of the time, all people send 'up' is small amounts of data, a small e-mial, request for a web page, etc..But the stuff coming down to the PC is big...so it slows the system down. That is why a ADSL line has a faster download speed than up-load..it recognises the fact that most users download lots, but upload little..

IMO

Dorsai 20:02 18 Oct 04

I assume they know, as if i remember, the site you mention was a BT one. What they are going to do about it, if anything, is another matter.

CurlyWhirly 20:02 18 Oct 04

Thanks for that.
Does anyone know of a website where I can find out whether my exchange is running at capacity?

CurlyWhirly 20:04 18 Oct 04

I assume they know, as if i remember, the site you mention was a BT one. What they are going to do about it, if anything, is another matter.

Surely they have to increase the Exchange capacity or people would complain?!

Dorsai 20:07 18 Oct 04

Surely they have to increase the Exchange capacity or people would complain?!

But if no-one complains? then what?

Dorsai 20:10 18 Oct 04

Is this it?

click here

Dorsai 20:15 18 Oct 04

And i was wrong, it's not a BT site.

But it says.

"The data contained shown here is supplied by BT to NDO early every week."

So i guess they know.

CurlyWhirly 20:15 18 Oct 04

Yes that's it. Thanks.

Dorsai 20:22 18 Oct 04

Your welcome.

PS, got the link from one of your own postings....so i though it would be the one you wanted. :-))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…