broadband teething problems

the old man 14:48 15 Feb 04

I started using bb via pipex last Tuesday. Excellent but experiencing computer freezes on numerous occasions whilst using bb and there are no common causes. Problem not experienced on dial-up. Have also found that the link always drops when i receive an incoming telephone call. Any ideas on these two problems.

LastChip 15:31 15 Feb 04

Which modem are you using?

grabster 15:35 15 Feb 04

Did you install microfilter on the phone line,im with pipex and have no such problems with my Mentor adsl usb modem ?

Is the modem connected via USB? If so, the other port on that hub should not be used.

caast©? 15:55 15 Feb 04

USB BB modems should use the port straight from the back of the PC if possible, not through a hub.

If using a hub route the modem straight from the PC USB

Have you got filters on all the phone lines as this is a requirement

the old man 15:56 15 Feb 04

modem is speedtouch 330 via usb 4 part hub. filter installed

the old man 16:00 15 Feb 04

filter is on main line but no filter on extension socket and phone

caast©? 16:05 15 Feb 04

You need filters on all extensions should have got two with the Modem. I have Pipex and 330 Actel and two were supplied. I had to buy extra's for two other extensions. Do not route modem through the hub plug it straight into the back of your PC

grabster 16:07 15 Feb 04

my filter is on an extension with no problems,also my mentor modem connects to my 4 way usb hub with no problems ,no drivers either with xphome.

the old man 16:09 15 Feb 04

sorry wrong info, there are filters on all extensions. will definately connect direct to computer.

©®@$? 16:13 15 Feb 04

thats funny, as i have been with pipex since october and i get freezes, and i never had them before broadband

i have tried all different things to try and over come it, from via drivers,modem drivers, etc

still occasionally get a freeze, but like you never on dialup

one thing you are supposed to do if you have xp is install the latest via chipset drivers, if you hava a via board before installing the modem, it does state this on the stup page on pipex..it made no difference with or without to me, but may help you?

also update the modem drivers, and like mentioned above have the modem on its own hub, it can suck all the power from the usb,, all which hasn't worked for me

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…